5-Minute Low-Carb Blueberry Mug Muffin - 6.4g Net Carbs

Catherine McDiarmid-Watt | 8:46 AM | 3 comments

Image: Low Carb Blueberry Muffin

Need a quick low-carb breakfast or lunch? This blueberry mug muffin takes about five minutes from start to finish and cooks right in the microwave.

I used ground flaxseed instead of flour, making it naturally gluten-free and nut-free. The result is a light, moist muffin that's surprisingly filling.

And yes, it really does rise right up out of the mug while it's cooking! Don't panic. 😂 It settles back down when it's finished.

I used to make this even faster by preparing several batches of the dry ingredients at once and keeping them in small containers in the fridge. Then whenever I wanted a muffin, I could grab one, add the wet ingredients and blueberries, and have lunch ready in moments.

Recipe details

Servings: 1 muffin
Prep & Cook Time: About 5 minutes
Microwave Time: 99 seconds
Net Carbs: Approximately 6.4g per muffin
Contains: Egg, coconut
Made without: Wheat, gluten, dairy, soy or nuts*

Always check individual ingredient labels if you're avoiding specific allergens.

If you watch the muffin cooking in the microwave, you will see it rise up past the cup

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients

  • 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

Wet Ingredients

  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp blueberries

Preparation:
  • Place the coconut oil in a large microwave-safe coffee mug and microwave for about 20 seconds, or until melted.
  • Add the ground flaxseed, baking powder, and cinnamon.
  • Add the egg, vanilla, and blueberries, and mix thoroughly.
  • Microwave for approximately 99 seconds. Microwave wattages vary, so cooking time may need to be adjusted.
  • Don't be alarmed if the muffin rises above the top of the mug while cooking. It should settle back down afterward. This is why I recommend using a large mug!
  • Let it cool briefly. The muffin should release easily from the mug.
  • Eat it straight from the mug or turn it out, slice it into 5 or 6 pieces, and serve with your favorite spread.

  • I usually prepare five batches of the dry ingredients at once ahead of timeMAKE IT EVEN FASTER

    I used to prepare five batches of the dry ingredients at once. I'd make one muffin immediately and store the other four dry mixtures separately in small containers in the refrigerator.

    When I wanted another muffin, most of the measuring was already done. Just add the dry mixture to your mug with the wet ingredients and blueberries, and you're ready to go!



    Original calculated nutrition per muffin:
    434 calories | 34.3g fat | 20.6g carbohydrates | 14.2g fiber | 15.4g protein | 6.4g net carbs

    Nutrition is an estimate and will vary depending on the specific ingredients and brands used.


    Photo credit: Catherine McDiarmid-Watt
    All rights reserved



    Shopping List:
    Bob's Red Mill Ground Golden Flaxseed Meal
    Baking Powder, Gluten Free, Sodium Free
    Extra Select Korintje Cassia Cinnamon
    Extra Virgin Coconut Oil by Garden of Life
    Wilton Clear Vanilla


    TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
    500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love
    -- One of the toughest challenges of any diet is having enough variety and choices to keep the dieter from losing interest. The most common reason that people abandon their diet is boredom, but 500 LOW CARB RECIPES: 500 Recipes, From Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love by Dana Carpender has more than enough recipes to keep even the most finicky dieter on track.

    With recipes for everything, including hors d'oeuvres, snacks, breads, muffins, side dishes, entrees, cookies, cakes, and much more, this is an endless supply for creating meals for the whole family night after night. Whether everyone in the family is on a diet or not, these recipes are proven winners with adults and kids alike.

    Category: , , , , , , , , ,

    Catherine

    About Catherine: I am mom to three grown-up sons, two grandchildren, two rescue dogs and a rescue cat. After years of cooking and coming up with recipes for my severely allergic children with a multitude of allergies, I am tired of cooking and weary of worrying about what I eat. And then I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and gluten-intolerant and the journey started all over again!

    Note: I am not a dietician, nutritionist, or doctor nor do I claim to be a weight management expert. I am not legally allowed to give dietary advice. This is not dietary or medical advice, just a compilation of low carb recipes that taste great!

    Find Catherine on Google+ - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Circle on Google+

    3 comments

    1. can you do this without a microwave?

    2. Yes, I tried it in the oven and a small pyrex bowl - and cooked it for 25 minutes. It wasn't as fluffy, but it tasted just as good! It came out looking like a muffin top!

    3. These type of flax muffins are great and the idea of making a blueberry one just seems right! thanks for the idea!

    I LOVE COMMENTS!
    Don't just sit there, reading this recipe or post - say something! Will you try it out yourself? Do you have any ideas on how to improve it? Do you have any questions?

    NOTE: Comments are moderated - just to stop the spambots - and so may take up to a few hours to be approved.

    Catherine reserves the right to review, edit, refuse or delete any comment.