Low-Carb Chicken Bacon Caesar Salad - 4.4g Net Carbs

Catherine McDiarmid-Watt | 10:29 AM | 1 comments

Image: Chicken Caesar Salad

This easy low-carb Chicken Bacon Caesar Salad was one of my favorite filling lunches when I was eating low-carb. It's loaded with chicken, crispy bacon, mozzarella, Parmesan, and romaine, with a little chia seed sprinkled in for good measure.

I originally created this during the period when I was following a very high-fat version of low-carb eating, so yes, my original recipe even included some of the bacon drippings. 😂 These days, I'd consider that completely optional.

One of my favorite things about this lunch was prepping the chicken ahead of time. I'd cook and dice a chicken breast while making dinner, freeze it in small portions, and then I could make this salad quickly whenever I wanted one.

Recipe details

Serves: 1
Prep Time: About 10 minutes, with precooked chicken
Net Carbs: Approximately 4.4g
Contains: Dairy; Caesar dressing may contain egg, fish, and other allergens depending on brand*

Check the labels on your bacon, cheese, and Caesar dressing if you're avoiding specific ingredients or allergens.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup cooked chicken breast, diced
  • 2 strips bacon
  • 4 to 6 leaves romaine lettuce
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp Caesar dressing
  • 1/2 tsp chia seeds

MAKE-AHEAD CHICKEN

I used to cook my chicken ahead of time while I was already making dinner. Once cooled, I'd dice it and refrigerate or freeze it in small portions, so I'd have cooked chicken ready for quick lunches throughout the week.

Image: Bacon and chicken mixture

MAKE THE SALAD

    break up and wash the romaine lettuce, spin dry
  1. Cut the bacon into small pieces with kitchen scissors. I find this much easier than trying to cut it after it's cooked.
  2. Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp.
  3. Add the precooked diced chicken and heat until the chicken is hot throughout.
  4. Wash and dry the romaine. A salad spinner makes this especially easy.
  5. Tear the lettuce into a bowl and top with mozzarella, Parmesan, and chia seeds.
  6. Add the warm chicken and bacon.
  7. Drizzle with Caesar dressing and toss everything together.
Finished Caesar Salad
Combine as follows: 1. Tear up 1/2 of the romaine lettuce and place in a salad bowl.

2. Grate 1/2 of the full-fat mozzarella cheese over the lettuce.

TIP: If you're using a deep salad bowl, you can assemble the ingredients in two layers so the chicken, bacon, cheese, and dressing are distributed throughout the salad.
 

Original calculated nutrition per serving:
Approximately 489 calories | 38.2g fat | 5.9g carbohydrates | 1.5g fiber | 32.3g protein | 4.4g net carbs

Nutrition is an estimate and will vary depending on the bacon, cheese, dressing, and other ingredients used.


Photo credit: Catherine McDiarmid-Watt
All rights reserved



Shopping List:
  • Chicken breast
  • Bacon
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Mozzarella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Chia seeds
  • Caesar dressing
  • Kitchen scissors
  • Salad spinner
  • Food-storage containers for meal prep


  • TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
    Low-Carb Green Salads For Lunch and DinnerLow-Carb Green Salads For Lunch and Dinner
    - Low-Carb Green Salads for Lunch & Dinner contains over 140 recipes with superb dressings and vinaigrettes. These dishes target people who specialize in eating healthy food.

    I’ve employed updated methods, new techniques, and fresh presentations to create new dishes low in carbohydrates that are fit for any discriminating table. Working aboard the luxury yacht Celtic Pride has allowed me to test out these recipes on celebrity guests such as Arnold Schwarzenegger.

    Some of my audience’s favorite dishes are: Pancetta and Watercress Salad with Lemon Champagne Vinaigrette, Grilled Oyster Mushroom and Roast Beef Salad with Parmesan Vinaigrette, Grilled Halibut Salad with Lemon Pistachio Vinaigrette, Spring Mix, Gorgonzola and Chorizo Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette, Rib Eye Steak and Frisee Salad with Pecorino, Ahi Tuna and Mesclun Salad with Pumpkin-Seed Vinaigrette.
    TIP: If you're using a deep salad bowl, you can assemble the ingredients in two layers so the chicken, bacon, cheese and dressing are distributed throughout the salad.

    Category: , , , , , , , ,

    Catherine

    About Catherine: I am mom to three grown-up sons, two grandchildren, two rescue dogs and a rescue cat. After years of cooking and coming up with recipes for my severely allergic children with a multitude of allergies, I am tired of cooking and weary of worrying about what I eat. And then I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and gluten-intolerant and the journey started all over again!

    Note: I am not a dietician, nutritionist, or doctor nor do I claim to be a weight management expert. I am not legally allowed to give dietary advice. This is not dietary or medical advice, just a compilation of low carb recipes that taste great!

    Find Catherine on Google+ - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Circle on Google+

    1 comments

    1. Susan says:

      Mmm... that salad looks really delicious!

    I LOVE COMMENTS!
    Don't just sit there, reading this recipe or post - say something! Will you try it out yourself? Do you have any ideas on how to improve it? Do you have any questions?

    NOTE: Comments are moderated - just to stop the spambots - and so may take up to a few hours to be approved.

    Catherine reserves the right to review, edit, refuse or delete any comment.