Low-Carb Flaxseed Bread Recipe - Gluten-Free, 1.7g Net Carbs

Catherine McDiarmid-Watt | 10:52 AM | 0 comments

Image: Gluten-Free, Low Carb Flax Bread

I made this gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free flaxseed bread while experimenting with another low-carb bread recipe, and sometimes mistakes really do work out! 😂

I cut the original recipe in half for my experiment... and then completely forgot to cut the number of eggs and the baking powder in half. But I liked how my accidental version turned out, so I kept it!

The original was intended as a focaccia-style bread, but I wanted something I could slice and use more like regular bread, so I baked mine in small loaf pans instead.

My first batch used brown flaxseed meal. I later preferred golden flaxseed because I found it lighter in both color and flavor.

Toasted with butter and WowButter (soy butter - a peanut-butter alternative), this was delicious!

Recipe details

Makes: 2 small loaves, about 20 slices total
Prep Time: About 5 minutes
Bake Time: About 25 minutes
Net Carbs: Approximately 1.7g per slice
Contains: Egg
Made without: Wheat, gluten, dairy, or nuts*

Always check individual ingredient labels if you're avoiding specific allergens.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup ground flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut palm sugar or preferred sweetener
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Combine the flaxseed meal, baking powder, coconut palm sugar, and salt.
  3. Add the beaten eggs, water, and olive or coconut oil.
  4. Mix until thoroughly combined.
  5. Pour into two small 3 x 6-inch loaf pans, or experiment with one larger loaf pan.
  6. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the bread is set and cooked through.
  7. Allow to cool before removing from the pan and slicing.

Brown vs. Golden Flaxseed

I made my first batch with brown flaxseed meal. Although they're often considered interchangeable in recipes, I personally prefer golden flaxseed for baking because I find the color lighter and the flavor milder.

Original calculated nutrition per slice:
Approximately 80 calories | 5.8g fat | 4.9g carbohydrates | 3.2g fiber | 0.7g sugar | 3g protein | 1.7g net carbs

Nutrition is an estimate based on the ingredients I originally used and will vary by brand and serving size. 


Photo credit: Catherine McDiarmid-Watt
All rights reserved


Shopping List:
• Eggs
• Salt
Bob's Red Mill Ground Golden Flaxseed Meal
Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Nature's Way Coconut Oil
Baking Powder, Gluten-Free, Sodium-Free

Category: , , , , , , , ,

Catherine

About Catherine: I am mom to three grown-up sons, two grandchildren, two rescue dogs and a rescue cat. After years of cooking and coming up with recipes for my severely allergic children with a multitude of allergies, I am tired of cooking and weary of worrying about what I eat. And then I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and gluten-intolerant and the journey started all over again!

Note: I am not a dietician, nutritionist, or doctor nor do I claim to be a weight management expert. I am not legally allowed to give dietary advice. This is not dietary or medical advice, just a compilation of low carb recipes that taste great!

Find Catherine on Google+ - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Circle on Google+

0 comments

I LOVE COMMENTS!
Don't just sit there, reading this recipe or post - say something! Will you try it out yourself? Do you have any ideas on how to improve it? Do you have any questions?

NOTE: Comments are moderated - just to stop the spambots - and so may take up to a few hours to be approved.

Catherine reserves the right to review, edit, refuse or delete any comment.