Savoury Braised Green Beans & Carrots with Bacon
This recipe started with one of those grocery-store samples that turns out to be surprisingly good.
My husband and I were shopping one day when the Sample Lady was handing out Savoury Braised Green Beans from a Becel recipe book. I liked them enough to take the recipe home, but of course I immediately started thinking about how I could change it to fit the way I was eating. 😂
Instead of Becel, I used the bacon drippings from two strips of bacon. I also used an Arctic Gardens mixture of green beans and baby carrots because that's what I had on hand.
The result was an easy savoury vegetable side dish with bacon, onion, garlic, and broth.
Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Net Carbs: Approximately 7g per serving
Ingredients
- 2 strips thick-sliced bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen green beans and baby carrots
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Black pepper, to taste
Original ingredient note: I used Arctic Gardens Orleans Style beans and baby carrots because that's what I had in my freezer. You can also make this with plain green beans or another similar vegetable blend.
Directions
- Cook the bacon slowly in a large skillet over medium-low heat until fully cooked.
- Set the bacon aside, and serve the cooked bacon alongside the cooked vegetables.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the green beans and carrots and cook for approximately 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information
Per serving: Approximately 167 calories | 12g fat | 9g carbohydrates | 2g fiber | 3g sugar | 5g protein | 7g net carbs
Nutrition is an estimate based on the ingredients I originally used and may vary depending on brands and serving sizes.
Category: bacon, carrots, dinner, gluten-free, green beans, low-carb, side dishes, vegetables






0 comments