Sassy Water Recipe with Lemon, Cucumber, Ginger & Mint

Catherine McDiarmid-Watt | 9:05 AM | 2 comments

Image: Sassy Water Recipe with Lemon, Cucumber, Ginger and Mint

If you're tired of drinking plain water, this refreshing Sassy Water recipe is an easy way to add some flavor with lemon, cucumber, fresh ginger, and mint.

I originally discovered Sassy Water years ago after seeing recipes inspired by The Flat Belly Diet on Pinterest. There were all sorts of health claims attached to it at the time, but honestly, I kept making it for a much simpler reason:

It tastes really good!

The combination of cucumber, lemon, ginger, and mint turns an ordinary pitcher of water into something fresh and flavorful. I added green tea to my version and prepared the whole pitcher the night before so it was cold and ready for the next day.

OTHER FLAVORS TO TRY

Once you've made the basic recipe, try adding:

  • Strawberries or other berries
  • Pineapple
  • Tangerine or orange
  • Lemon balm
  • Bee balm
  • Lavender
TIP: Use fresh ginger and keep it in the freezer. Frozen ginger is easy to grate, creates less mess, and lasts much longer than fresh ginger sitting in the refrigerator.

Makes: About eight 8-ounce glasses
Prep Time: About 10 minutes, plus chilling time

Ingredients

Ingredients

  • 1 lemon, sliced
  • 1 medium cucumber, sliced
  • 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
  • 10 to 12 fresh mint leaves
  • 8 cups water
  • 2 to 4 green tea bags, optional

glass of Sassy Water


Directions

  1. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil and add the green tea bags.
  2. Steep according to the tea package directions rather than leaving the bags in indefinitely. Remove the tea bags and allow the tea to cool.
  3. Pour into a large glass pitcher.
  4. Add the sliced lemon, cucumber, grated ginger, and mint.
  5. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight to allow the flavors to infuse.
  6. Pour over ice and enjoy cold.
Nutrition note: The exact nutritional content will vary depending on the ingredients used, how long the water is infused, and whether any of the fruit or vegetables are consumed.


Photo credit: Catherine McDiarmid-Watt
All rights reserved


Shopping List:
  • lemon
  • cucumber
  • fresh ginger
  • mint leaves
  • Green tea, optional
  • Large glass pitcher


  • TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
    Flat Belly Diet! CookbookFlat Belly Diet! Cookbook
    -- Belly fat is not only unsightly, but it's also deadly; it has been linked to a long list of adverse health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and breast cancer.

    Prevention's Flat Belly Diet, a revolutionary plan that's already helped more than one million people lose weight around their middles, may help target dangerous belly fat with monounsaturated fats (better known as MUFAs)—found in delicious foods like nuts and seeds, vegetable oils, olives, avocados, and dark chocolate.

    "The food...tastes so good, and there's so much of it!"

    On the Flat Belly Diet, it's important to enjoy these foods in the right amounts, with every meal. The Flat Belly Diet! Cookbook makes that easy. 


    All of the recipes were carefully developed to make sure every meal includes just the right amount of MUFAs and meets the plan's 400-calorie guideline, so readers can mix and match meals to suit their taste. And there's no need to count calories. All the work has already been done!

    Category: , , , , , , , , ,

    Catherine

    About Catherine: I am mom to three grown-up sons, two grandchildren, two rescue dogs and a rescue cat. After years of cooking and coming up with recipes for my severely allergic children with a multitude of allergies, I am tired of cooking and weary of worrying about what I eat. And then I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and gluten-intolerant and the journey started all over again!

    Note: I am not a dietician, nutritionist, or doctor nor do I claim to be a weight management expert. I am not legally allowed to give dietary advice. This is not dietary or medical advice, just a compilation of low carb recipes that taste great!

    Find Catherine on Google+ - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Circle on Google+

    2 comments

    1. kimmie h. says:

      How do you prepare the cucumbers in the Sassy Water? Peel and just add the slices, or puree? I didn't see any obvious cucumber slices in the pictures. Thanks Catherine!

    2. Mark says:

      This looks great. I do not drink a lot of sweetened drinks, and this looks right up my alley. The mint sounds refreshing too. Thanks!

    I LOVE COMMENTS!
    Don't just sit there, reading this recipe or post - say something! Will you try it out yourself? Do you have any ideas on how to improve it? Do you have any questions?

    NOTE: Comments are moderated - just to stop the spambots - and so may take up to a few hours to be approved.

    Catherine reserves the right to review, edit, refuse or delete any comment.