The Great Low-Carb Gluten-Free Pizza Experiment - 1.5g Net Carbs
I experimented with making a low-carb, gluten-free pizza for dinner, using a recipe from Low Carb and Gluten Free Comfort Foods as my starting point and making a few changes of my own.
Did it work? Sort of. 😂
The crust was made entirely from shredded cheese fried in a little olive oil. It tasted great, but I found it much too oily.
I wasn't giving up, though! My next experiment was going to be baking the cheese crust in the oven or trying it in the microwave. I'd previously made some great crispy cheese “taco shells” in the microwave, although I wondered whether that might make the crust too crispy for pizza.
I also learned that I went WAY overboard on the meat the first time. The original recipe called for much more than I needed, so I've reduced the amounts below.
Serves: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Net Carbs: 1.5 per slice
Contains: dairy
Made without: Wheat, gluten, eggs, soy, and nuts
1 cup (250 ml) shredded cheese (for crust)
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
3 tbsp (45 ml) bruschetta (instead of pizza sauce)
1 gluten-free pepperoni stick (5.5 inches - 14 cm)
1 strip of bacon, cooked
1/3 cup (84 ml) shredded cheese for topping
For a total of 6 carbs for the whole pizza!
Preparation:
Warm up oil on medium heat. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese. Cook till edges are hard and crisp. Spread on Bruschetta and top with meat and remaining cheese. Continue cooking till cheese topping begins to melt.
It tasted great - just very oily.
Original Nutrition Calculation
Per slice (¼ pizza): 199 calories, 18.4g fat, 1.5g carbs, 0g fiber, 7.4g protein
Nutrition information is based on the ingredients and brands I used when I originally made this recipe and may vary with different products.
Shopping List:
• Miller's Fancy Shredded Mozzarella/Cheddar Cheese
• Pepperoni Snack Sticks
• Comal County Bacon
• Don Pomodoro Bruschetta Tomato Topping
• DaVinci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Category: cheese crust, dinner, gluten-free, keto, low-carb, pizza





0 comments